thumbnail

Using Sewing Pins as Rivets


I have shared photos and answered a few inquiries regarding using cheap sewing pins for rivets on my 1/48 Zaku project at both my Facebook and Instgram accounts already. But I thought I'd archive this technique as a quick tutorial here, as my blog is way more google friendly than Facebook.

This technique should both be helpful, and cost efficient! A sheet of sewing pins costs 22 pesos only and you just need a few tools to achieve the effects. If you are  reading this post and googled it up, most likely you have these tools at hand already.

I measure with my trusty old caliper. I presume most does not have this tool, so any measuring tool can be used. I prefer using my caliper just because I have a caliper ( lol ).

I have a couple of Tamiya pin vises and attached are two different sized drill bits. Just drill the smaller hole first, then half-heartedly ( lol ) drill with the bigger drill bit. As you can see in the photo, I use a rusted old bigger drill bit, a new and sharp big drill bit will drill all the way and you do not want that at all.

I plan to paint the rivets the same color as the kit. So I glue it during this stage with an ordinary white glue ( superglue is obviously a stronger option ). Much like the last photo ( MG Zeta Karaba commissioned work ), I place the rivets after painting as I like the chrome finish that served as a cheap alternative for metal option parts.

I am so excited to paint this project already. I shelfed the MG Z'Gok and MG Zeta Karaba commissioned projects as I wanted to finish a build to start the new year ( 2015 ). Weathering those rivets should be fun! Stay tuned guys! Just enjoy the hobby! 










Subscribe by Email

Follow Updates Articles from This Blog via Email

No Comments

Powered by Blogger.